Diazepam UK is mostly used to treat seizures, anxiety, and alcohol withdrawal. The medicine can also relieve patients of muscle spasms and provide sedation before medicinal procedures. Diazepam works by enhancing neurotransmitters’ activity, which helps in calming down the nerves and the brain. It belongs to a group of drugs known as benzodiazepines.
How to have diazepam UK?
The medicine must be taken by mouth with or without food as directed in the instructions. If you have the medicine’s liquid form, you need to carefully measure the dose in the spoon or a measuring device. Avoid using a household spoon as you may not get the correct amount. If you are using a concentrated amount of the medicine, try to use a medicine dropper which is often provided with the medicine. The oral variants of diazepam can be mixed with soft food like pudding.
The dosage will depend on your medical condition, your health condition, your age, and how you respond to the treatment. Avoid increasing the doses at all costs as this might be risky. Even though it is known to help a lot of people, it might cause addiction.
What are the various medical conditions that can be treated with diazepam?
- Anxiety disorders
- Panic disorder
- Muscle spasm
- Bipolar disorder
- Alcohol withdrawal
How does diazepam work?
The medicine directly impacts the GABA receptors which are responsible for regulating our sleep, anxiety, and relaxation. When influencing the GABA receptors, diazepam can slow down the central nervous system. This helps to decrease your feeling of nervousness, anxiety, and agitation, and therefore, you become calm and feel relaxed. This is how diazepam is used to treat panic disorders and other anxiety issues.
- Avoid diazepam 10 mg if you notice allergic reactions to the medicine
- Avoid the medicine if you have issues like liver disease, myasthenia gravis, narrow-angle glaucoma, or sleep apnea.
- Avoid taking the medicine if you have a breathing problem, glaucoma, depression, etc.
- Misuse of the tablets can cause addiction and overdose might be fatal.
Avoid housing grapefruit or grapefruit juice while taking the medicine because it can increase the side effects of the medicine. Also, do not take the medicine for more than 4 months without professional advice.
What are the after-effects of stopping the medicine?
If you suddenly stop taking diazepam, you will feel the following symptoms:
- Unusual muscle movement
- Severe changes in mood and behavior
- Suicide thoughts
- Patients become more talkative or active
What is the effect of diazepam on a pregnant woman?
- If you are having diazepam during pregnancy, your child can be directly affected. The child might be born with life-threatening withdrawal symptoms and may need serious medical treatment for many weeks.
- The medicine can directly affect the unborn child, but withdrawal symptoms leading to seizures can harm both the mother and baby. So, do not suddenly stop taking the medicine and remember to consult a doctor.
What will happen if you miss a dose of diazepam?
Take Diazepam UK as soon as possible, but skip the missed dose if it is almost time to have your next dose of medicine.
What happens if you overdose on diazepam?
Diazepam is a medicine that works by calming down the nerves and the brain. It reduces neural activity and helps you relax. However, an overdose can be fatal, and things can be serious if you take medicine with alcohol, other drugs, opioid medicine.
Some of the common overdose symptoms might include slow breathing, extreme drowsiness, loss of balance or coordination, weak muscles, and in serious cases, coma.
Common side effects of taking diazepam
Some of the common side effects of taking the medicine are:
- Extreme drowsiness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Worsening seizures
- Feeling tired
- Weak muscles
- Problem with walking or muscle coordination
Diazepam 10 mg is a popular medication that is used to treat various disorders like anxiety, stress, panic disorder, and many more. It is easily available in any pharmacist store or you can order it online.